Donnerstag, 9. September 2010

As I was talking to my dad and my sister in the car today, I said everything in German and in Farsi, like I have been doing whenever the 3 of us are talking together. My sister said "You just said everything in German and then in Farsi. Do you see how much of a waste that is? We could have had so much more conversation."

Then I came home and got a message from my aunt saying that I shouldn't continue this English boycott just to prove that I can do it, because I could be missing out on a lot of social interactions and not be able to express myself. But I'm not doing it to prove I can do it. I have already known since months before it even started that I could do it. As for social interactions, I talk too much anyway even though I know that only half of what I say is important. Besides, one thing i'm worried about is that the pushiness I acquired while in Germany (which is completely normal in Germany) may be seen as rude here (when in fact I don't think it's rude at all and that the way most people in the US act is what's really rude). So if I can't say "excuse me!" if I need someone to move, I can't be called rude.
And about social situations, I think I have so far been more encouraged to be social than I ever was before, because I am always looking for stuff to go to as fodder for this experiment.

The reason I don't like speaking English is because every time I do, I feel like all people hear (and definitely all I hear), regardless of what i'm saying, is "I'm american and I will probably always have to live here and never be able to move to Germany for good."

I'm not boycotting English in order to prove anything. I'm doing this because i'll go crazy if I don't, and because every time I speak English, something just hurts and makes me feel bad about myself.

2 Kommentare:

  1. i don't think that's true. people speak english in australia and canada and newzeland and many places up and above america. you shouldn't feel bad speaking english because it's not a reflection of you! just like your hair color and eyes arent a reflection of who you really are they are what you're stuck with- you're not gonna try and go blonde and blue eyed just because it would make you seem more german right? that would be absurd! speaking in only german is the language equivelent of that!

    i mean, it makes me feel bad that you only speak these other languages because i don't get to interact with you the way i want. maybe that's a little selfish but it's also selfish to continue speaking in a language many people who love you can't understand. you'll have plenty of time to speak german in germany, which is the most fun place to speak it!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. not all Germans have blonde hair and blue eyes. They have all hair and eye colors just like in the US, silly.
    So bad example.

    And if I could do a good New Zealand accent, i'd speak English in New Zealand. But unfortunately I have a stupid American accent. And you can interract with me the way you want. I don't see at all how the fact that i'm not speaking English impairs anything. I can still understand English, after all.

    AntwortenLöschen