Mittwoch, 22. September 2010

The funniest thing happened to me today. I was at an Opera Night with my mom, and at some point this woman saw me and said something (I'm pretty sure she said "those candles are pretty, aren't they?") and I nodded. I don't know why she would have expected me to say anything in response, since what she said wasn't something that one can really reply to except nodding, but she suddenly asked "do you speak English?"

I was very amused by this, because "do you speak English" is a question I have hardly ever been asked before, aside from the random women in Paris and Berlin and big cities who ask random people for money. Pretty much, everyone everywhere assumes everyone else speaks English even if they don't. So getting that question is weird enough without taking into account the fact that I was in America when I was asked if I spoke English. In the US, one doesn't normally run into someone who doesn't speak English.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen